Pages

Thursday 14 September 2017

Up styling easy DIY home decor



I love decorating my home and often look in what my husband calls " housey " shops for pretty items. However, I often find decorative items can be a bit pricey and being a crafter I mutter away under my breath saying " I could make that myself cheaper ". And so todays project is how to DIY home decor cheaper.

Pound shops are often full of awesome hidden treasure you can " up style " this means to get a cheap plain item and to make it look something special. By doing it yourself you can be sure it will be unique ...no one else will have quite the same.

So here I took a shadow box style frame from my local pound shop and up styled it. Super quick and easy to do. You can adapt this idea to say or contain anything. I chose the words "home"and cut these using my Large letter dies from Stampin' UP! I cut the words from the stunning champagne coloured foil card and layered on DSP from the Year of cheer DSP stack. I also re lined the inside of the frame with paper from the same suite. I did not waste anything, and re used the twine thread to hang my words which I turned into pennants using the banner punch.

As a finishing touch I used a foil doily cut into four to decorate the outside of the frame, the gives an extra wow. All you need do is adjust your sizing to correspond with whichever frame you can get hold of. This is a very easy and versatile project for you to try. I have a full step by step YouTube tutorial for you to follow so grab a brew get comfy and watch the film... product and measurements below ... happy stamping xxxx Amanda


                                       

Measurements

Cut the dsp to line your frame according to your frame size.
Banners were cut in two sizes , the smallest is 1 1/2 x 4" and the large is 2 x 4 1/2"

Product List

9 comments:

  1. Very clever, I like unique, that is what I have on my cards Simply Unique :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That made me smile.....I thought I was the only one who strolled round home decor stores going'HOW much???? I'll make one! Another ingenious, pretty project for relatively little outlay, and so much better than the original one.Well done Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great addition to any room! Love it, and your talent, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way this turned out! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this Amanda. I will be having a go for sure xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your home decor piece. Its lovely! Thank you for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just watched your video explaining your next step in life. I would like to wish you well in your job and look forward to seeing your hobby videos when you get time.

    ReplyDelete